The University of Cologne (Universität zu Köln) is one of the oldest universities in Europe and, with over 44,000 students, one of the largest universities in Germany.
The university is part of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, an association of Germany's leading research universities. It is furthermore the German founding member of the Community of European Management Schools and International Companies.
the University of Cologne is not only a prominent address in the heart of Cologne but has meanwhile established its presence in faraway places, with its own offices in China since 2007 and in India since 2009. Universities traditionally thrive on the academic exchange of ideas across frontiers, on openness and curiosity. Beyond collaborations between individual researchers, the 21st century now calls for international networking and presence. In a global world, the ever increasing endeavour is to measure and weigh knowledge, and to compare and statistically record the successes of universities on an imaginary world stage by way of rankings.
Cologne university history
The University of Cologne was established in 1388 as the fourth university in the Holy Roman Empire, after the Charles University of Prague (1348), the University of Vienna (1365) and the Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg (1386). The charter was signed by Pope Urban VI. The university began teaching on January 6, 1389. In 1798, the university was abolished by the French, who had invaded Cologne in 1794, because under the new French constitution, universities were abolished all over France.The last rector Ferdinand Franz Wallraf was able to preserve the university’s Great Seal, now once more in use.
In 1919, the by-then Prussian government endorsed a decision by the Cologne City Council to re-establish the university. On May 19, 1919, the then Cologne Mayor Konrad Adenauer signed the charter of the modern university. At that point, the new university was located in Neustadt-Süd, but relocated to its current campus in Lindenthal on 2 November 1934. The old premises are now being used for the Cologne University of Applied Sciences.
Initially, the university was composed of the Faculty of Commerce, Economics and Social Sciences (successor to the Institutes of Commerce and of Communal and Social Administration) and the Faculty of Medicine (successor to the Academy of Medicine). In 1920, the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Arts were added, from which latter the School of Mathematics and Natural Sciences was split off in 1955 to form a separate Faculty.
More from Cologne (Koeln)